A record breaking sports day
On Wednesday 3 July the Senior School took to the sports ground for the annual sports day festivities. There was the usual buzz of excitement from the house tents as everyone prepared for their events and wondered who would be victorious this year. It was well supported by parents and there were some fantastic records broken including:
- George Budden breaking year 9 javelin record by a metre
- Samiyah Harris breaking the triple jump record by 24cm
- Lily Russell breaking the shot putt by 55cm – a record that has stood since 2008
- Aliyah Paydar breaking the 100m record and the high jump at a height of 1.41m which had stood since 2008
- Issy Rayment and Bea Budden also broke records for the 1500m and hurdles respectively
All in all it was a fun filled day with a fun run and tug of war as well as the annual staff versus sixth form relay race, which was an electric affair as alumna Isabella Hilditch, who is currently at Princeton and runs for England, joined one of the staff teams and blew away the competition! Stanley was awarded the cheerleading trophy and Morgan Lee took home the special Victrix Lidorum prize for not only participating in events but also helping to coordinate the complex scoring spreadsheet of house points.
Gurney were the overall winners but the camaraderie and Sydenham spirit was evident throughout all events, with staff and pupils cheering each other on the whole day.