Record breaking 2019 A Level results
In the midst of building improvement works, and with the sun finally shining, our year 13 cohort returned to school today to celebrate their long awaited A Level results. They need not have worried as their hard work paid off and this year was a record breaker, with a quarter of the cohort receiving A* grades, and 91% A* to B grades! Bucking the national trend of a dip in the top grades to its lowest for ten years, our year 13 achieved 57% A* or A grades, compared with 25.5% nationally.
There are so many lovely stories from today but here are a few:
- Molly and Emily achieved all A* grades and are setting off to read Sociology and Chemistry at York respectively.
- Martha achieved 3 A* and an A and is heading off to Linguistics with Chinese at Lancaster.
- Annabelle achieved 2 A* and 1 A grades and is starting an apprenticeship degree at Ernst & Young.
- Khadijah is weighing up her university offers to study Mechanical Engineering so that she can continue her riding training following her victory at the Magnolia Cup two weeks ago.
- Majura is using her A* and 2 A grades for Product Design Engineering at Loughborough.
- Laura heads off to study Medicine at Southampton.
- Phoebe is going to read Philosophy & Politics at Sheffield.
It was smiles all round as the students and their parents discussed the next steps of this wonderful cohort, 90% of whom will be heading to their top choice university place. Not only have they achieved amazing results but they have given so much to the Sydenham High community.
We also had some very happy teachers – especially those in the Chemistry, Geography, Government and Politics, Italian and Philosophy departments as their students achieved all A* or A grades.
It is always a pleasure to celebrate with our students at this time of year. These record breaking results are testament to their hard work, and that of their teachers, as well as the support of their families. This year group gave so much to our school community: they are socially conscious, quirky and kind as well as determined and talented. We look forward to seeing them spread the Sydenham spirit as they move onto their next stage of life and will enjoy welcoming them back in the winter term to hear all about their adventures.
– Mrs Woodcock, Headmistress