Pupils intelligently consider and challenge thoughtless attitudes to the world’s natural resources
There are pupil ‘eco warriors’ throughout the school
Pupils’ strong awareness of human responsibility for threats to the environment is evident
- Reducing our impact
- All lighting is being replaced with LED bulbs.
- We promote ‘switch off Friday’ to consider and reduce energy consumption.
- We no longer print our prospectus. Any printed inserts are through a carbon balanced company.
- Our minibuses have been replaced with low emission versions.
- Parents collecting pupils have been reminded to switch off their engines when waiting outside the school, and warning signs are in place.
- Mondays are now Meat Free. Every day has vegan and vegetarian options.
- We grow vegetables in our specially made Eco Zone allotment.
- Prep School promote ‘cutting plastic out of Christmas’ with washi tape instead of sellotape and non-plastic coated wrapping paper.
- Staff recycle books in a ‘bring and swap’ library in the Staffroom.
- Regular ‘new to you’ clothing swaps are held at Senior School, one as a fundraiser for the South Africa netball tour, raising money and recycling unwanted clothes and the others simply to encourage a reduction in ‘fast fashion’.
- Eco Weeks include repair workshops to make do and mend and the DT curriculum includes upcycling.
- All food waste is now recycled. Waste Not, Want Not carbon buster challenge in 2022 reduced leftover food on plates by 45 %
- Recycling bins are in every classroom and labelled with clear instructions of what goes in each to prevent contamination.
- Food wrappers are now biodegradable.
- No clingfilm is used.
- We have recycled paper napkins.
- We are set up as a drop off location for recycling crisp packets through Terracycle.
- In 2020-21 our Head of Geography became the first in London to become a United Nations Climate Change Accredited teacher and our year 10 Geographers also passed a UNCC module designed for post A Level!
- In 2021-22, staff members are completing modules through eduCCate, led by our Sustainability Coordinator, Miss Gibbs.
- Prep School created a fantastic video, Save the World, with the help of Mr Welch, which was featured on the Green episode of Blue Peter.
- On the day of the previous Climate Change protest, pupils signed an eco petition which was sent to the Prime Minister as well as our local MP.
- Prep School pupils have marched to Senior School, and to Sydenham High Street, with protest banners to raise awareness.
- In 2020, year 12 Young Enterprise teams, Green Sweep and FreshBites, designed eco friendly reusable carrier bags and beeswax wraps and won several awards.
- In 2021, year 12 Young Enterprise team, Compostivity were awarded numerous awards including the national Young Enterprise Sustainability Award AND the Arconic Foundation Innovative Sustainability Business Idea Award for their composting pack, which introduces children (and adults too) to composting, growing fruit and vegetables.
- We are members of the Sustainable Schools Alliance Network as part of SEEd (Sustainability & Environmental Education).
- Our Eco Prefects host regular assemblies outlining the Eco Focus for the term and actions to take such as explaining exactly how to recycle effectively and not contaminate any bins
- Lecture Series: the most recent in the series was a talk by Climate Consultant and alumna, Charlotte Lawson.
- Eco Weeks are held termly at both Prep and Senior, including pupil-led assemblies and events such as writing eco pledges and fundraising for eco charities