At Sydenham High School we are committed to making small changes to make a big difference, not only to our community but also to the planet. Last year our pupils made it clear that environmental issues were at the forefront of their minds and so, following on from recycling bins in all offices and classrooms, and banning plastic water bottles in 2017, we started to plan our Eco Strategy.
To kick off this calendar year Mrs Woodcock challenged our school community to join her in a collective pledge to reduce the flow from the ‘plastic tap’, with the view to ensuring that this resolution will be long lasting. We have worked on multiple areas to tackle our carbon footprint and impact on the environment through taking the following steps:
- All food waste is now recycled
- Food wrappers are now biodegradable
- No clingfilm is used
- We have recycled paper napkins
- Mondays are now Meat Free
- We grow vegetables in our specially made Eco Zone allotment
- Lighting is being replaced with LED bulbs
- We no longer print our prospectus and any printed inserts are through a carbon balanced company
- Prep School promoted ‘cutting plastic out of Christmas’ with washy tape instead of sellotape and non-plastic coated wrapping paper
- We promote ‘switch off Friday’ to consider and reduce energy consumption
- Staff recycle books in a ‘bring and swap’ library in the Staffroom
- Parents collecting pupils have been reminded to switch off their engines when waiting outside the school
- We are set up as a drop off location for recycling crisp packets through Terracycle
- Our minibuses have been replaced with low emission versions.
As a school community, we regularly participate in activities related to environmental campaigns such as:
- Prep School created a fantastic video, Save the World, with the help of Mr Welch, which was featured on the Green episode of Blue Peter
- On the day of the previous Climate Change protest, pupils signed an eco petition which was sent to the Prime Minister as well as our local MP
- Prep School pupils have marched to Senior School, and to Sydenham High Street, with protest banners to raise awareness
- Two clothing swaps have been held, one as a fundraiser for the South Africa netball tour, raising money and recycling unwanted clothes and the second simply to encourage a reduction in ‘fast fashion’
- Year 12 Young Enterprise team, Green Sweep, designed eco friendly reusable carrier bags and won several awards
- We have been awarded the Silver Eco Schools Award and we are working on achieving Gold.
- We are members of the Sustainable Schools Alliance Network as part of SEEd (Sustainability & Environmental Education)
There is always more that can be done but we are proud that we are doing our bit to make a change and we are especially proud that many of the changes have been led by our eco warrior pupils.